- Cooking Time: 25(stove) + 40(oven)
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 2 cups Swiss Brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1.5 kg beef sirloin/rump/topside, diced into 1.5cm cubes
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 300mL pouring cream
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup warm water
- Fresh thyme or parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 sheet shortcrust pastry
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Salt, white pepper, and black pepper to taste
- 1. Melt the butter in a heavy based pan. Add the mushrooms and saute over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until the mushrooms begin to soften.
- 2. Add half of the white wine and saute for a further 1-2 minutes. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside.
- 3. Heat the oil in the same pan. Add the onions and saute until just translucent.
- 4. Add the meat and brown off on all sides. Add the remaining wine and cook for 1-2 minutes until the alcohol has evaporated.
- 5. Add the beef stock and bring to a strong boil. Season to taste.
- 6. Add the cream and reduce the heat to low-medium. Bring to a slow boil. Add the thyme/parsley.
- 7. Stir the cornstarch and the water together in a cup. Add to the pot in a slow stream, stirring continually.
- 8. Simmer until the sauce has reduced to 1/2 cup of thickened liquid. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- 9. Gently stir through the buttered mushrooms.
- 10. Preheat oven to 180° Celcius.
- 11. Butter a pie dish and lay the chortcrust pastry. Spoon in cooled filling. Lay the puff pastry and crimp the edges together. Make steam cuts in the pastry, and brush the surface with milk.
- 12. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
NotesThis recipe can be served as a casserole: omit the cornstarch (or reduce it if you like a thicker sauce) and stop after completing Step 6. Stir the mushrooms through immediately prior to serving as this enhances their buttery taste and plump texture. Serve with mashed potato, polenta, or steamed rice.
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
"Pretty Food" for the home ChefSee More
Pho - Vietnamese Beef Noodle
Creamy Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
Jim's Easy Vegetable Green Thai CurrySee More