- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds beef tenderloin, trimmed, cut in 3 inch x 1 inch x 1/4 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 6 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over high heat.
- Brown the beef for 2 minutes, transfer to a warm platter, and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over moderate heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes or until onions are tender, then stir in the mushrooms, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in the remaining salt and pepper, and add the beef broth.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits, and boil, uncovered for 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and whisk in the sour cream until smooth.
- Stir in the beef and any juices that have collected on the platter.
- Add brandy and place over low heat and stir constantly just until heated through (don't let the sauce boil).
- Turn heat off and place Stroganoff in a serving dish and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve over whole grain pasta cooked al dente.
NotesThis version of beef stroganoff you would be proud to serve your relatives and friends.
Nutritional facts per serving: Calories 321; Total fat 17 grams, Saturated fat 7 grams; Protein 34 grams; Carbohydrate 7 grams; Fiber 1 gram; Sodium 307 mg; Cholesterol 105 mg.
We found this delightful recipe in "Down Home Cooking" cookbook.