- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Olive oil
- 50g unsalted butter
- 500g beef fillet steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 300g mushrooms, thickly sliced*
- 125ml whiskey
- 3 gherkins, finely chopped
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- 300ml light sour cream
- *Jamie suggests using oyster, chestnut or chanterelle mushrooms. I just used field mushrooms as that was all I had.
- Heat a wide, heavy-based frypan over medium-high heat, then add a splash of olive oil and half the butter.
- Season the beef well with salt and pepper, then working in small batches, briskly fry the beef for 1-2 minutes to brown all over. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan, reduce the head to medium-low and cook onion and garlic gently for 5-7 minutes till soft. Add mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Add whiskey with cooking juices from the rested beef.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the gherkins, paprika and sour cream, and reduce the sauce slightly over medium-high heat for 7 minutes, then stir in beef and warm for 1 minute. Season, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve.
- Pasta or rice to serve.
NotesI'd never had beef strog before, but after seeing the tantalizing photos from a Jamie Oliver recipe, I just had to give it a try!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More