- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large onion (I used vidalia) cut into large chunks
- 6 roma tomatoes cut in half
- 2 jalapenos (left whole)
- 1 poblano chili (left whole)
- Salt and Pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder or ground pasilla (I used ground pasilla)
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
- 8 cups beef broth
- Recommended garnishes: avocado, cheese, fried tortilla strips or chips, chopped onions, sour cream or Crema Mexicana, cilantro
- 1 - 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- Juice from 3 limes
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 cup corn (or a 14 oz can of whole corn kernels, drained)
- 1 - 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed.
- 2 lbs shredded, pre-cooked beef
- Preheat your oven to 400' F. Place the onion, roma tomatoes, jalapenos, and poblano chili on a cookie sheet. Drizzle some oil over the veggies, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper and roast for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Puree the tomatoes in a food processor and set aside.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the jalapenos and poblano. Chop roughly, along with the onions.
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, heat about 2 tsp or so of oil and saute the jalapenos, poblano, onions, and garlic.
- Add the cumin, chili powder and oregano. Continue to saute for another minute or so, stirring often so as not to burn.
- Pour 1 cup of the broth into the pot, stir to de-glaze. Pour in the remaining 7 cups of broth, along with the can of diced tomatoes, the pureed tomatoes (that you set aside earlier), lime juice and tortilla strips. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- If you have an immersion blender, put it use and puree the crud out of what's in the pot. Otherwise, work carefully as you puree it in batches with a blender.
- Add the corn and beans, and heat through.
- Now you're ready to serve it. Place the meat in the bowl, spoon the soup over the meat and garnish as desired.
NotesI had some beef broth that I needed to use....and decided to take my chicken tortilla soup recipe and change it to beef. Loved it!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Get Fit With Good Food!
The NourishFull KitchenSee More
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Carrot cupcakes or muffensSee More