- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large onion (I used vidalia) cut into large chunks
- 6 roma tomatoes cut in half
- 2 jalapenos (left whole)
- 1 poblano chili (left whole)
- Salt and Pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder or ground pasilla (I used ground pasilla)
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
- 8 cups beef broth
- Recommended garnishes: avocado, cheese, fried tortilla strips or chips, chopped onions, sour cream or Crema Mexicana, cilantro
- 1 - 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- Juice from 3 limes
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 cup corn (or a 14 oz can of whole corn kernels, drained)
- 1 - 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed.
- 2 lbs shredded, pre-cooked beef
- Preheat your oven to 400' F. Place the onion, roma tomatoes, jalapenos, and poblano chili on a cookie sheet. Drizzle some oil over the veggies, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper and roast for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Puree the tomatoes in a food processor and set aside.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the jalapenos and poblano. Chop roughly, along with the onions.
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, heat about 2 tsp or so of oil and saute the jalapenos, poblano, onions, and garlic.
- Add the cumin, chili powder and oregano. Continue to saute for another minute or so, stirring often so as not to burn.
- Pour 1 cup of the broth into the pot, stir to de-glaze. Pour in the remaining 7 cups of broth, along with the can of diced tomatoes, the pureed tomatoes (that you set aside earlier), lime juice and tortilla strips. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- If you have an immersion blender, put it use and puree the crud out of what's in the pot. Otherwise, work carefully as you puree it in batches with a blender.
- Add the corn and beans, and heat through.
- Now you're ready to serve it. Place the meat in the bowl, spoon the soup over the meat and garnish as desired.
NotesI had some beef broth that I needed to use....and decided to take my chicken tortilla soup recipe and change it to beef. Loved it!
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Mrs. Claus Cooks for Holiday Entertaining
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Carl’s Cabbage Cream Pie
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Banana CakeSee More