- Cooking Time: 3 hours
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- ¼ lb. bacon, diced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 3 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 ½” cubes, patted dry on paper toweling
- 1 lg. yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lg. carrot, peeled and minced
- 1 t. salt
- ½ t. pepper
- 2 T. flour
- 2 c. red Burgundy wine, or other dry red wine
- 1 ⅓ c. strong beef stock or broth
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 (4”) sprigs fresh thyme, or ½ t. dried thyme
- 2 (4”) sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 recipe pan-braised onions
- 1 lb. Mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced ¼” thick
- 2 T. butter or margarine
- Pan-Braised Onions
- 2 lb. Small white onions, peeled
- ¼ c. butter
- ½ c. dry vermouth
- ¼ t. salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- 2. Brown bacon in oil in large heavy skillet over moderately high heat about 5 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- 3. Brown beef in skillet in bacon drippings, a few pieces at a time, and drain on paper towels.
- 4. Reduce heat to medium, and stir-fry onion and carrot 8-10 minutes until onion is golden.
- 5. Place beef and bacon in an ungreased 3-qt. casserole, add onion and carrot, and toss to mix. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and flour, and toss again.
- 6. Set uncovered in oven 3-5 minutes; remove, stir well, and set in oven 3-5 minutes longer (this helps brown flour and seal in meat juices).
- 7. Remove casserole from oven and reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- 8. Stir in wine, stock, tomato paste, and garlic into casserole.
- 9. Tie thyme, parsley, and bay leaf in cheesecloth and drop into casserole. Cover casserole and simmer 2 hours in oven until beef is tender.
- 10. Meanwhile, prepare onions by sautéing them in butter in a large, heavy skillet over moderately high heat, turning frequently, 10 minutes until golden. Add vermouth, reduce heat to moderately low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes until crisp-tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and turn onions in pan juices to glaze evenly.
- 11. Sauté mushrooms in butter over moderate heat 8-10 minutes until tender; set aside.
- 12. When beef is tender, remove cheesecloth bag. Drain liquids from casserole; puree in blender if desired. Keep beef warm.
- 13. Pour casserole liquid into a large pot or Dutch oven, and boil, uncovered, reducing slightly, about 5 minutes. Add beef and bacon, onions and mushrooms, and stir to blend. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- 14. Serve with boiled new potatoes or egg noodles and a crisp green salad.
NotesOne of my husband's top 10! Yes, it has a lot of steps, but none of them are too difficult. It is a time-consuming meal to make, but definitely worth it!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Recipes for Vitality
Fun appetizers and snacksSee More
Aunt Kiki’s Enchilada Casserole
Chicken Cauliflower Power Soup
Coconut MacaroonsSee More