- Cooking Time: 3 hours
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- ¼ lb. bacon, diced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 3 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 ½” cubes, patted dry on paper toweling
- 1 lg. yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lg. carrot, peeled and minced
- 1 t. salt
- ½ t. pepper
- 2 T. flour
- 2 c. red Burgundy wine, or other dry red wine
- 1 ⅓ c. strong beef stock or broth
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 (4”) sprigs fresh thyme, or ½ t. dried thyme
- 2 (4”) sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 recipe pan-braised onions
- 1 lb. Mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced ¼” thick
- 2 T. butter or margarine
- Pan-Braised Onions
- 2 lb. Small white onions, peeled
- ¼ c. butter
- ½ c. dry vermouth
- ¼ t. salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- 2. Brown bacon in oil in large heavy skillet over moderately high heat about 5 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- 3. Brown beef in skillet in bacon drippings, a few pieces at a time, and drain on paper towels.
- 4. Reduce heat to medium, and stir-fry onion and carrot 8-10 minutes until onion is golden.
- 5. Place beef and bacon in an ungreased 3-qt. casserole, add onion and carrot, and toss to mix. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and flour, and toss again.
- 6. Set uncovered in oven 3-5 minutes; remove, stir well, and set in oven 3-5 minutes longer (this helps brown flour and seal in meat juices).
- 7. Remove casserole from oven and reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- 8. Stir in wine, stock, tomato paste, and garlic into casserole.
- 9. Tie thyme, parsley, and bay leaf in cheesecloth and drop into casserole. Cover casserole and simmer 2 hours in oven until beef is tender.
- 10. Meanwhile, prepare onions by sautéing them in butter in a large, heavy skillet over moderately high heat, turning frequently, 10 minutes until golden. Add vermouth, reduce heat to moderately low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes until crisp-tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and turn onions in pan juices to glaze evenly.
- 11. Sauté mushrooms in butter over moderate heat 8-10 minutes until tender; set aside.
- 12. When beef is tender, remove cheesecloth bag. Drain liquids from casserole; puree in blender if desired. Keep beef warm.
- 13. Pour casserole liquid into a large pot or Dutch oven, and boil, uncovered, reducing slightly, about 5 minutes. Add beef and bacon, onions and mushrooms, and stir to blend. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- 14. Serve with boiled new potatoes or egg noodles and a crisp green salad.
NotesOne of my husband's top 10! Yes, it has a lot of steps, but none of them are too difficult. It is a time-consuming meal to make, but definitely worth it!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Fun appetizers and snacks
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More