BEEF AND ASPARAGUS NEGIMAKI
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- Salt for water
- 24 thin stalks asparagus
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 bunch scallions, greens only
- 1 1/2 pounds beef tenderloin
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat a grill or grill pan until hot, or prepare oven broiler.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Cut off asparagus ends to within 3 1/2 inches from tips; reserve bottoms for another use. Place tips in boiling water; cook until bright green but still crunchy, about 1 minute.
- Prepare an ice-water bath.
- Drain asparagus; transfer to an ice-water bath to stop cooking.
- Drain asparagus again in a colander, and set aside.
- Whisk together soy sauce and sugar until dissolved; set aside.
- Cut scallions into 3 1/2-inch lengths, julienned lengthwise; set aside.
- Slice tenderloin into 1/4-inch-thick pieces. Place one slice between two pieces of plastic; pound lightly to an even thickness.
- Remove plastic; trim into 2-by-5-inch rectangle. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Dip a piece of beef in soy-sauce mixture, and place on a clean surface.
- Season with pepper.
- Place 1 piece of scallion and 2 asparagus tips across 1 end of beef, so vegetables extend over edges; roll.
- Set aside.
- Repeat with remaining beef and vegetables.
- Grill or broil negimaki, brushing with sauce and turning, until slightly charred and medium rare, about 2 minutes.
- Yield: 8 servings
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More