- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Cooking spray
- 2 lbs of beef stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1 ince pieces
- 2 tspns canola oil
- 2 cups chopped leek
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 tspns salt
- 1 tspn dried thyme
- 1/2 tspn black pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cans less-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- Heat large pot over medium-high heat. Coat pot with cooking spray. Add half of beef, cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining beef.
- Heat oil in pot over medium-high heat. Add leek, carrot, and garlic; saute 4 minutes until lightly browned. Return beef to pan. Add water and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Add barley, cook 30 minutes or until beef and barley are tender. Discard bay leaves.
NotesGreat for winter!
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
It's all about that protein
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Skinny Mojito for Cinco de Mayo
Spicy New England Style Lobster Roll
Avocado & Swiss Sprouted Wheat PizzaSee More