- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 med onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole tomatoes, drained, cut up
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup refried beans
- Oil for frying
- 6 eight-inch flour tortillas
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- Place ground beef in medium skillet. Brown over medium-high heat. Drain. Remove beef from skillet' set aside. Place 2 tablespoons oil in same skillet. Add onion and garlic. Saute over moderate heat until onion is tender. Stir in ground beef, tomatoes, salsa, chili powder, coriander, thyme, salt, cayenne and cumin. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes, or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in refried beans.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375º. Meanwhile, place 1/2 cup beef mixture in center of each tortilla. Fold opposite sides of tortilla to center over beef mixture. Fold ends toward center; secure with wooden pick.
- Fry 1 to 2 chimichangas at a time, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle top of each chimichanga with 2 tablespoons Monterey Jack cheese (optional). Serve immediately with salsa, if desired.
NotesI found this in one of the Favorite Brand Name books. It's delicious. And makes sure you buy the right size flour tortillas. We bought the six-inch and they were too small.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More