- Cooking Time: 2 1/4 hours
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1/3 C finely chopped salt pork or bacon
- 2 1/2 - 3 lbs beef stew meet
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 3 T paprika
- 1 T salt
- 1 t ground nutmeg
- 1 t dried marjoram
- 1 C water
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 4 large potatoes, cubed
- 6 carrots or parsnips, thickly sliced
- 2 12 oz cans beer
- Cook salt pork in large stew pot until rendered
- Add meat: cook an stir over medium-high heat until lightly browned.
- Remove meat.
- Reduce heat to medium; add onions and cook until tender.
- Return meat to pot and add seasonings, beer, water, tomato paste and Worcestershire; stir to mix
- Cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add prepared vegetables; cover and simmer until vegetables are cooked, about 45 minutes.
NotesI don't remember where this recipe came from. We make this in a cast iron dutch oven when camping. Easy prep ahead recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
The Naked Macaron
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
Walnut, Honey & Espresso Caramels
Scrambled Egg Breakfast Pizza
Rice PuddingSee More