- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 pounds stew beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Marsala wine (Note: I used a Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1 pound butternut squash, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 to 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley (which I forgot to add)
- Crusty bread, for serving
- In a large soup pot heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, rosemary, and thyme and saute until the onions are tender, about 2 minutes. Toss the beef cubes in salt and pepper and flour. Turn up the heat to med-high and add the beef to the pot. Cook until the beef is browned and golden around the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the wine. Using a wooden spoon, gently stir up all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the butternut squash and sun-dried tomatoes and stir to combine. Add enough beef broth to just cover the beef and squash. Bring the stew to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Season the stew with additional salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serve with crusty bread alongside.
- View step-by-step images of this recipe at my food blog ErinCooks.com
NotesWhole Foods meats are the ultimate in food porn. When I opened up my bag of stew beef I almost swooned. No wonder everything costs $200 a pound there. It’s gorgeous! The ruby red cubes were almost too pretty to put into a messy stew, but let’s be realistic people — a girl has to eat...
Beef and Butternut Squash Stew (Originally published by Giada De Laurentiis)
View step-by-step images of this recipe at my food blog ErinCooks.com
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Vegan Glass Jar GoodiesSee More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More