- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1lb stewing beef
- Salt & Black pepper
- 1c beef stock
- 1/2c strong coffee
- 1tsp Dave's Insanity hot sauce
- 1lb ground sirloin
- 3-5cloves garlic
- 1lg onion, chopped
- 3c stewed tomatoes (14.5oz can)
- 1/4c green chilis, diced
- 3c dk red kidney beans (14.5oz can)
- 1/8c cocoa powder
- 1tblsp ea: chili powder, sugar
- 1/2tsp ea ground: cumin, madras curry, coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg, mustard, cayenne (red) pepper, black pepper, white pepper
- 1/4c jalapenos, sliced
- 1c corn kernels
- V8 Juice
- Sharp Cheddar shreds & Sour Cream
- I start the night before by stewing the chunks of beef in the Crockpot overnight in stock & coffee, salt & pepper to taste, then a dash or three of Dave's Insanity. This is HOT STUFF, people- don't get it on your hand and then rub your eye. NOTE: if you can't find Dave's, any screaming hot Scotch Bonnet or Habanero sauce will be just fine.
- Next day, brown ground beef in large, heavy stock pot or Dutch oven. Add garlic and onion, and sauté til tender. Shred and then add stewed meat from the Crock along with remaining ingredients, stirring well after each addition to ensure cocoa and spices are well blended and do not form lumps, using V8 Juice enough to thin down some and cover (you will need very little). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer ALL DAY, stirring occasionally. You may want to simmer uncovered a while before serving, to make it really spoon-stands-up-in-it thick. Serve late in the afternoon, with PLENTY of cheese & sour cream on hand to garnish... and cold beer... and maybe a fire extinguisher... and for those friends of yours that are usually kept in a cage and fed a diet high in live squirrels, some Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce on the side, as well.
NotesI like to say, Some Like It HOT. And I am One of the Some. So, if you can't take the heat, this chili ain't for you! It is, well, "RICH" to say the least. However... if you, too, are One of the Some... then come get you some!