- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons toasted, crushed anise seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon loosely packed saffron threads
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup shelled fava beans
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound button mushrooms, halved
- 8 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 12-ounce bottle Belgian beer
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Process toasted anise seeds with garlic, saffron, paprika and cayenne; add lemon juice and puree. Stir into 1/2 cup olive oil; coat chicken thighs in mixture and chill 1 hour.
- Cook fava beans 1 minute in boiling salted water; cool slightly. Add peas to the boiling water; cook 5 to 6 minutes. Add to the fava beans.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil in a dutch oven. Remove chicken thighs from the marinade, scraping off excess. Season with salt and black pepper; sear over moderately high heat until browned, 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
- Wipe out the dutch oven; melt butter then fry mushrooms, scallions and thyme until any liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are browned, 8 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Slowly stir in beer and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the casserole.
- Return chicken thighs to the casserole; season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat until the chicken is cooked through, 25 minutes. Add cream, fava beans and peas; increase the heat to moderate and cook uncovered until the sauce has reduced slightly, 5 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs. Serve chicken stew sprinkled with parsley.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
NFPG Recipe CollectionSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More