- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons toasted, crushed anise seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon loosely packed saffron threads
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup shelled fava beans
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound button mushrooms, halved
- 8 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 12-ounce bottle Belgian beer
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Process toasted anise seeds with garlic, saffron, paprika and cayenne; add lemon juice and puree. Stir into 1/2 cup olive oil; coat chicken thighs in mixture and chill 1 hour.
- Cook fava beans 1 minute in boiling salted water; cool slightly. Add peas to the boiling water; cook 5 to 6 minutes. Add to the fava beans.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil in a dutch oven. Remove chicken thighs from the marinade, scraping off excess. Season with salt and black pepper; sear over moderately high heat until browned, 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
- Wipe out the dutch oven; melt butter then fry mushrooms, scallions and thyme until any liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are browned, 8 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Slowly stir in beer and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the casserole.
- Return chicken thighs to the casserole; season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat until the chicken is cooked through, 25 minutes. Add cream, fava beans and peas; increase the heat to moderate and cook uncovered until the sauce has reduced slightly, 5 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs. Serve chicken stew sprinkled with parsley.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Christmas CookiesSee More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More