- Cooking Time: 70
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (3 3/4-pound) whole roasting chicken
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (12-ounce) can beer
- 3 tablespoons barbecue smoked seasoning (such as Hickory Liquid Smoke)
- Preheat oven to 375'F.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken; trim excess fat.
- Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breasts and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Combine ketchup and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in a bowl.
- Reserve 1/4 cup ketchup mixture; rub remaining ketchup mixture under loosened skin and over breasts and drumsticks.
- Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken.
- Discard 1/2 cup beer.
- Add barbecue smoked seasoning to can.
- Holding chicken upright with the body cavity facing down, insert beer can into cavity.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan, and spread legs out to form a tripod to support the chicken.
- Bake at 375'F for 40 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450'F, and bake an additional 30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the meaty part of thigh registers 170'F.
- Lift chicken slightly using tongs; place spatula under can.
- Carefully lift chicken and can; place on a cutting board.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Gently lift chicken using tongs or insulated rubber gloves; carefully twist can and remove from cavity.
NotesI found this in cooking light, and it is the BEST, juiciest chicken EVER! The sauce they give is good, but I have made it with other rubs and sauces too.
Oven Barbecue Beer-Can Chicken
A variation on the grilled favorite, this oven version cooks in a fraction of the time. If you prefer grilling, place the bird over indirect heat for about two hours or until a thermometer registers 170'F. The flavorful meat makes a tasty barbecue sandwich with pickle chips and onion slices.
(serving size: 5 ounces meat and 1 tablespoon sauce)
CALORIES 269(32% from fat); FAT 9.6g (sat 2.6g,mono 3.6g,poly 2.2g); PROTEIN 35.8g; CHOLESTEROL 106mg; CALCIUM 26mg; SODIUM 700mg; FIBER 0.4g; IRON 2.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 8g
Cooking Light, MAY 2006