BEER FRIED MUSSELS WITH SKORDALIA -GREECE
- 1-2 cups skordalia (Greek garlic sauce) either store-bought or homemade
- 1 cup Fischer beer
- 1 cup flour
- 6 cups olive or other oil for frying
- 2 pounds (1 kilo) mussels, cleaned, debearded, and shucked (just the flesh, in
- other words)
- Ingredients for the skordalia
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup walnuts, crushed
- some salt
- lemon juice and vinegar (to taste)
- 1 cup olive oil
Empty the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the center. Mix in the Fischer beer and whisk together to form a thick batter. Dry the mussels on paper towels. Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or large, deep frying pan. Dip the mussels, about a dozen at a time, into the batter and remove with a slotted spoon, letting the excess batter drip off. Fry for about 2 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels and season with salt. Repeat with remaining mussels, in batches. Serve the hot, fried mussels with the garlic sauce immediately.
How to make skordalia
Soak the bread and strain. Pulverize the garlic and some salt over the food processor and then add the bread and the walnuts pulsing on and off. Finally, add slowly the lemon juice and the vinegar and stir well to mix.