- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 7 medium beets
- 2 tart apples
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wrap each beet in a piece of foil, sealing tight. Place all the beet
- packages on a foil-lined baking dish. Bake for 1 - 1 1/4 hours. Leave
- the beet packages on the baking dish, but carefully pull open a corner
- of the foil package to let the steam escape. Let the beet packages sit
- in this manner for 5-10 minutes. Carefully open the foil package more
- fully. Let the beet packages sit in this manner for an additional 5-10
- minutes or until the beets can be handled comfortably. Slide your
- fingers over the surface of the beets and the skin of the beets will
- peel off easily. Cut the beets into 1/4-inch julienne sticks.
- Coarsely grate the apples and combine with the beet sticks. Add the
- remaining ingredients and blend well. Taste and adjust seasoning with
- salt and pepper. Serve cold.
- Note: Faye Levy says that 2 tablespoons sour cream can replace 1/2 the
- mayonnaise for meatless dinners