- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 7 medium beets
- 2 tart apples
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wrap each beet in a piece of foil, sealing tight. Place all the beet
- packages on a foil-lined baking dish. Bake for 1 - 1 1/4 hours. Leave
- the beet packages on the baking dish, but carefully pull open a corner
- of the foil package to let the steam escape. Let the beet packages sit
- in this manner for 5-10 minutes. Carefully open the foil package more
- fully. Let the beet packages sit in this manner for an additional 5-10
- minutes or until the beets can be handled comfortably. Slide your
- fingers over the surface of the beets and the skin of the beets will
- peel off easily. Cut the beets into 1/4-inch julienne sticks.
- Coarsely grate the apples and combine with the beet sticks. Add the
- remaining ingredients and blend well. Taste and adjust seasoning with
- salt and pepper. Serve cold.
- Note: Faye Levy says that 2 tablespoons sour cream can replace 1/2 the
- mayonnaise for meatless dinners
Sauce du Jour Culinary Institution: where every crazy chef gets a sharp knife
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Teriyaki Salmon and Green Onion Kabobs
"Lightened Up" Carrot CakeSee More