- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryBon Appetit! The following recipe comes from the beautiful Caribbean island Martinique knicknamed Iles des fleures (island of flowers).
- 6 large large bananas
- 2/3 cup dark Martinique or Jamaican rum
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups all pupose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Peel the bananas and cut into halves lengthwise; cut each half into two equal pieces. Place in a bowl. Combine the rum, sugar, and vanilla and pour over the banana slices. Leave for 1 hour, turning the pieces occasionally.
- To make the batter, add the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large stainless steel bowl; then add the butter, eggs, milk and rum, mixing to a smooth paste. Let the batter stand until the bananas are ready. Dip the banana pieces in the batter, and fry in deep oil at 375ºF, until they are golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or serve with ice cream.