- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Tablespoons butter or oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz. can whole tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock (chicken stock is also excellent, and more traditional)
- 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoons chopped basil (or 1 tsp pesto)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups half-and-half (or 1 cup milk mixed with 1 cup heavy cream)
- several dashes of tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
- Garnish: thinly sliced basil leaves or minced parsley
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and stir in the onions and garlic.
- Saute until soft and golden over medium-low heat.
- Pour in the entire can of tomatoes, stock, rice, salt, pepper, basil, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for about 30-35 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender, solids first, then pour back into the saucepan.
- Stir in the half-and-half, splash in the hot pepper sauce, and taste for seasoning.
- Heat the soup just to a boil, then ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with sliced basil leaves or minced parsley.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Halloween Easy Eerie EdiblesSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More