- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Tablespoons butter or oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz. can whole tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock (chicken stock is also excellent, and more traditional)
- 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoons chopped basil (or 1 tsp pesto)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups half-and-half (or 1 cup milk mixed with 1 cup heavy cream)
- several dashes of tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
- Garnish: thinly sliced basil leaves or minced parsley
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and stir in the onions and garlic.
- Saute until soft and golden over medium-low heat.
- Pour in the entire can of tomatoes, stock, rice, salt, pepper, basil, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for about 30-35 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender, solids first, then pour back into the saucepan.
- Stir in the half-and-half, splash in the hot pepper sauce, and taste for seasoning.
- Heat the soup just to a boil, then ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with sliced basil leaves or minced parsley.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes for Vitality
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14See More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More