- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
- In double boiler, melt chocolate and butter, stirring frequently. Whisk in cocoa powder until dissolved.
- Gradually stir in sugar; the mixture will resemble wet sand. Cook over simmering water for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Check water level of double boiler, adding more if necessary.
- Gradually stir in milk and cream. Continue stirring until completely blended. Continue cooking for 1 hour, stirring and checking water level occasionally. The sauce is ready when completely smooth and all sugar is dissolved.
- Yields 1 quart
NotesThis recipe is for the actual hot fudge sauce served in Ben & Jerry's ice cream shops, a scaled down recipe of course! It's absolutely decadent. It goes on smooth and thickens when it hits the frozen ice cream, just as a hot fudge sauce should.
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2014
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Amsterdam Friends CookbookSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More