- Cooking Time: 8
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 25
- 3 cups fresh berries (sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and/or blackberries)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed or 1 egg
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 of an 8-ounce container frozen fat-free whipped dessert topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup fat-free dairy sour cream
- In a small bowl combine the berries and the crystallized ginger. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare shortcakes. For shortcakes, in a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter or margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine buttermilk and egg product or egg. Add to the flour mixture all at once, stirring just until mixture is moistened. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside. On a lightly floured surface pat the dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut the dough with a floured 2-1/2-inch star-shaped or heart-shaped cookie cutter or a round biscuit cutter, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place shortcakes on prepared baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Cool the shortcakes slightly on a wire rack.
- To serve, in a small bowl combine the whipped topping and sour cream. Split shortcakes in half. Place bottoms on dessert plates. Divide the berry mixture among bottoms. Top each with some of the whipped topping mixture. Replace the shortcake tops. Makes 10 servings.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
Breads and Pastry 101
Gluten-Free and DeliciousSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More