- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 4 medium-large crisp, sweet apples
- 2 tablespoons nonhydrogenated margarine
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen blueberries or cranberries, completely thawed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar, more or less as needed to sweeten to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup muesli or granola
- 1 tablespoon natural granulated sugar
- Vanilla frozen nondairy dessert for topping, optional
- Peel the apples and cut into fairly thin (about 1/4-inch-thick) slices.
- Heat the margarine in a medium skillet. Add the apples. Saute, stirring frequently, until they have softened but still hold their shape, about 4 minutes.
- Add the berries, maple syrup, and cinnamon, and cook until the the berries have started to burst and the apples are just tender, about 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- In a small container, combine the cornstarch with just enough cold water to dissolve smoothly, and stir into the skillet. Cook briefly, just until the liquid in the skillet is thickened, then remove from the heat.
- Heat a smaller skillet. Add the muesli and sugar, and toast over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture turns a shade darker and smells nutty, about 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle evenly over the surface of the fruit.
- Allow the crumble to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then serve in small bowls. If desired, top each serving with a dollop of frozen dessert.
- Calories: 242; Total fat: 5 g; Protein: 2 g; Carbohydrates: 50 g; Fiber: 5 g; Sodium: 75 mg
- (taken from blog.vegkitchen.com)
NotesBerries and apples are my favorite fruit combination in crumbles and cobblers. I try to have blueberries and cranberries as often as possible for their powerful antioxidant goodness. Here’s a way to enjoy a sweet, delectable crumble, minus the 30 minute baking time usually required. The twist here is that it’s made on the stovetop rather than baked in the oven.
(taken from blog.vegkitchen.com)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More