- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (colored portion of peel)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 2 ripe bananas)
- Cream cheese frosting (see recipe)
- Assorted fresh berries
- Green frosting in a tube
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 1 or 2 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
- Sift flours into a large bowl. Add baking powder and salt; whisk to mix well.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, maple syrup and lemon zest with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg and banana; mix well. Scrape wet ingredients into dry ingredients; stir gently to combine.
- Pour batter into paper liners, filling to slightly more than two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- To decorate, wash and dry berries. If using strawberries, remove stems and slice thinly. Arrange berries on cupcakes to resemble flowers. Draw on stems and grass with green frosting.
- Per frosted cupcake (based on 12 cupcakes): 525 calories; 25g fat (43 percent calories from fat); 16g saturated fat; 85mg cholesterol; 5g protein; 70g carbohydrate; 51g sugar; 2g fiber; 257mg sodium; 92mg calcium; 222mg potassium.
NotesPulled from an article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch.
Adapted from "Bake Me A Cake: Fun and Easy Treats for Kids," by Megan Brenn-White (HarperResource, $19.95).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Summertime SippersSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More