- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (colored portion of peel)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 2 ripe bananas)
- Cream cheese frosting (see recipe)
- Assorted fresh berries
- Green frosting in a tube
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 1 or 2 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
- Sift flours into a large bowl. Add baking powder and salt; whisk to mix well.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, maple syrup and lemon zest with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg and banana; mix well. Scrape wet ingredients into dry ingredients; stir gently to combine.
- Pour batter into paper liners, filling to slightly more than two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- To decorate, wash and dry berries. If using strawberries, remove stems and slice thinly. Arrange berries on cupcakes to resemble flowers. Draw on stems and grass with green frosting.
- Per frosted cupcake (based on 12 cupcakes): 525 calories; 25g fat (43 percent calories from fat); 16g saturated fat; 85mg cholesterol; 5g protein; 70g carbohydrate; 51g sugar; 2g fiber; 257mg sodium; 92mg calcium; 222mg potassium.
NotesPulled from an article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch.
Adapted from "Bake Me A Cake: Fun and Easy Treats for Kids," by Megan Brenn-White (HarperResource, $19.95).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"See More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More