- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups mixed berries (i.e. raspberries, blackberries and/or blueberries), thawed if frozen
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. (325F. for dark pan). Line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch cake pan with aluminum foil so that foil extends, by at least, 2-inches on each short side. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk to blend; set aside.
- Combine butter and cream in a small microwave proof bowl. Microwave, on full power, in 20 second increments until butter is melted. Stir between cooking periods.
- Combine eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until the mixture is thick and pale, about 4 - 5 minutes. Add 1/2 of flour mixture and 1/2 of butter mixture. Mix at low speed until just incorporated. Add remaining flour and butter mixtures. Beat at a medium speed for 1 minute. Gently, with a rubber spatula, fold berries into batter (batter will be very thick). Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake, in center of oven, until top of cake is golden brown and a tester, inserted into the center of the cake, comes out clean–about 45 - 55 minutes. Remove cake from oven, set pan (with cake) on a rack to cool completely.
- Using foil extensions as aides transfer cake to a smooth dry surface. Cut into bars or squares of desired size. If desired, dust top of cake with powdered sugar.