- Cooking Time: 30-40min
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 10-20min
- 4-5 fresh yams, sliced or diced
- 1/2stick butter
- 1/4c brown sugar
- 1/2tsp allspice
- 1/2tsp nutmeg
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- Oven to 350. Steam pototoes, either over boiling water or in electric steamer til beginning to turn tender (10-20min, depending on equipment and capacity). If you don't have any of that sort of equipment, you can BLANCH the potatoes for 10min or so in boiling water. Put butter in a casserole large enough to accomodate potatoes, and add potatoes, sugar and spices. Stir to melt butter and coat potatoes well. Bake uncovered 30min, or longer if you like them mushier. I like to take them out after 20min or so, stir them up well so as to break them up some, and put them back in to roast a while longer. Serve!
- ALTERNATE RECIPE with added Brouhaha:
- Same as above, but add with steamed potatoes, sugar & spices:
- 1sm can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2c pecans
- 1c marshmallows
- Mix well and bake in oven as above, though for only 20min or so; overcooking will break down oranges too much.
NotesI LOVE me some sweet taters, so I've come to know them well. This is the BEST way I've found to cook them by themselves- just a tad bit of sweet and not a lot of brouhaha (aka, marshmallows and pecans). Not that there's anything wrong with brouhaha. I like it sometimes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More