- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 20
BackstoryWe always wanted terrific mashed potatoes, but we didn't want to spend the day OF in the kitchen. So, we came up with this recipe that we can make ahead of time and pop into the oven just before everyone comes over. It goes with a dinner meal or a brunch meal. It's hearty and has all the flavor that a holiday recipe should.
- (1) box of 16 oz dried potato flakes
- 6 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 1/2 sticks of real butter, unsalted and softened
- 2 tsps garlic salt or onion salt
- 2 cups whipping cream or regular milk
- (2) 8oz packages cream cheese, softened
- (1) 16oz container of sour cream
- No-stick Cooking spray
- Chives, chopped (optional)
- Paprika, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spray a 13 x 9 glass or ceramic baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Heat broth, butter, and salt (onion or garlic) in a saucepan and bring just to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream and cream (or milk) into the saucepan. Stir until smooth.
- Add in the potato flakes in portions and stir until well incorporated. Add in chopped chives (optional) and mix gently.
- Spread potato mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake at 350F for one hour. You can sprinkle paprika over the potatoes right before baking for a smoky kick or add it as it comes out of the oven for more spiciness.
- You can also assemble these potatoes and put them in the dish then cover and refrigerate for up to two days ahead of time. Then, just pop into the oven an hour before your guests are due to arrive.