- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney
- beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans,
- drained and rinsed
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans diced
- tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened
- cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Cook beef in pan until browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in onions, bell pepper and garlic and cook 5
- minutes more.
- Stir in kidney beans, pinto beans and tomatoes. Season with brown sugar, cocoa powder, chili powder and cumin.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes. (To make in a slow cooker, simply transfer beef mixture to a slow cooker, stir in remaining ingredients, cover
- and cook on low 5 to 6 hours.)
NotesBest Bean Chili tweaks the traditional recipe, coupling
red kidney and pinto beans with ground beef and all the
chili seasonings. It can be prepared on the stove or a slow
cooker. Although B.E.A.N. recipes usually call for a specific
variety, any canned or dry-packaged bean variety can be easily
substituted for another.