- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 8 ounces of egg noodles (3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 ounces white button mushrooms, trimmed and halved
- 12 ounces beef tenderloin, cut into 1/8 inch strips
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 onion minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1. Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the noodles (Light n fluffy extra wide noodles are the best) and cook, stirring often, until they are almost tender but still firm to the bite. Drain the noodles, then return to the pot and toss with 2 tablespoons of the butter. Cover to keep warm.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium high heat until shimmering. Add the mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, then transfer to a bowl.
- 3. Pat the beef dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet and return to medium high heat until just smoking. Brown the beef, about 5 minutes, then transfer to the bowl with the mushrooms.
- 4. Add 1/4 cup of the wine to the skillet and return to medium heat. Simmer, scraping up any browned bits, until syrupy, about 1 minute. Transfer the wine to the bowl with the mushrooms and beef.
- 5. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat. Add the onion, brown sugar, and tomato past and cook until the onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the broth and remaining 1/2 cup wine and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- 6. Add any accumulated juices from the mushrooms and beef. Stir about 1/2 cup of the sauce into the sour cream, then stir the sour cream mixture into the sauce. Add the mushrooms and beef and let warm through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over the warm buttered egg noodles.
Prep Time: 10 mins Total Time: 45 Mins
***NOTE*** Sour cream can curdle if added directly to hot liquid. To prevent this, temper the sour cream by stirring a little of the stewing liquid into it and then stirring the warmed sour cream mixture back into the pan of stroganoff. To ensure that the stroganoff and noodles are done at the same time, start cooking the mushrooms (step 2) while you wait for the water to cook the noodles to come to a boil.