- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 bunch (about 6 ounces) broccolini, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped jarred roasted red pepper, drained
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/4 cups Eggology egg whites
- 1/4 cup fat-free ricotta
- 2 tablespoons fat-free skim milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped shallot and broccoli and cook, stirring frequently, 4 to 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in roasted red pepper and water. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 2 minutes.
- Whisk together Eggology egg whites, ricotta and milk. Stir in minced basil. Season lightly with salt and generously with pepper.
- Spread broccolini mixture evenly in skillet. Pour egg white mixture over broccoli. Cover and cook 6 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with cheeses, cover and cook 2 minutes or until cheeses are melted. Cut into wedges.
NotesChoosing good-for-you foods may become easier in the coming year. Yale University's Griffin Prevention Research Center developed the Overall Nutritional Quality Index which scores food from 1 to 100, based on nutrients, sugar, vitamins, and salt as well as impacts on blood pressure and other health concerns. Word on the street is that most stores plan to adopt the rankings in 2009. Among the foods that score a perfect 100 is broccoli. Broccoli, part of the cabbage family, is high in Vitamin C, soluble fiber and contains a lot of antioxidants with possible anti-cancer properties. How to incorporate more broccoli in your life? How about serving it at breakfast in a frittata! Eggology's Best Broccoli Frittata recipe follows: