- Cooking Time: 30-40 Minutes
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 60 Minutes
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more to butter the dish
- 6 slices bread (crust removed) torn into 1/4 - 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 4 1/4 (18 oz.) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8oz.) grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Place the bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tbls. of butter. Pour butter into bowl with bread and toss. Set the breadcrumbs aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat the milk. Melt remaining 6 tbls. butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- While whisking, slowly pour in hot milk. continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere. Set cheese sauce aside.
- Cook macaroni 2-3 minutes less than package directions. Transfer macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into reserved cheese sauce.
- Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 Gruyere, and breadcrumbs over top.
- Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes before serving.
NotesMy friend Tami Sutyak knows how to make a really good Mac and Cheese. I'm sure you can add stuff if you like (like people like the idea of procuitto). But this is AMAZING.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Adventures in Cooking
Brownies: Baking Outside the BoxSee More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More