- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 pound Spanish onions (about 3 medium), each cut in half, then thinly sliced
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup milk, warmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onions, stirring to coat. Cover and cook for 10 minutes for onions to soften, stirring occasionally. Uncover, increase heat to medium and cook 15-20 minutes more or until onions are browned, stirring frequently. Stir in vinegar and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a 3-quart saucepan, place potatoes in enough water to cover. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Reserve 1/4 cup potato-cooking water. Drain potatoes.
- In same saucepan, mash potatoes with a potato masher until smooth. Gradually add warm milk, mashing potatoes until fluffy and adding reserved potato-cooking water as necessary. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into serving bowl and top with onion mixture.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal HelpingsSee More
Hot Artichoke Dip
Lemon Streusel MuffinsSee More