- Cooking Time: 30-40min
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 10-20min
BackstoryI LOVE me some sweet taters, so I've come to know them well. This is the BEST way I've found to cook them by themselves- just a tad bit of sweet and not a lot of brouhaha (aka, marshmallows and pecans). Not that there's anything wrong with brouhaha. I like it sometimes.
- 4-5 fresh yams, sliced or diced
- 1/2stick butter
- 1/4c brown sugar
- 1/2tsp allspice
- 1/2tsp nutmeg
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- Oven to 350. Steam pototoes, either over boiling water or in electric steamer til beginning to turn tender (10-20min, depending on equipment and capacity). If you don't have any of that sort of equipment, you can BLANCH the potatoes for 10min or so in boiling water. Put butter in a casserole large enough to accomodate potatoes, and add potatoes, sugar and spices. Stir to melt butter and coat potatoes well. Bake uncovered 30min, or longer if you like them mushier. I like to take them out after 20min or so, stir them up well so as to break them up some, and put them back in to roast a while longer. Serve!
- ALTERNATE RECIPE with added Brouhaha:
- Same as above, but add with steamed potatoes, sugar & spices:
- 1sm can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2c pecans
- 1c marshmallows
- Mix well and bake in oven as above, though for only 20min or so; overcooking will break down oranges too much.