- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Chocolate Frosting recipe
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Lightly grease bottoms of three 8" x 1½" round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper. Grease and lightly flour waxed paper and sides of pans. Set pans aside.
- Preheat oven to 350º. In medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about ¼ cup at a time, beating on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition (about 1 minute total). Beat in vanilla.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed just until combined after each addition. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more. Spread evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Peel off waxed paper. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Prepare Chocolate Frosting; fill and frost cake layers. If desired, top with chocolate curls. Store cake in the refrigerator.
NotesI got this one from (you guessed it) my mom; she got it from Better Homes & Gardens.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Classic Chocolate Recipes
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1See More
GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR BLEND
Peanut Butter Cups
White Chocolate and Cranberry CookiesSee More