BETH HILLSON’S GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, NUT FREE VANILLA BLUEBERRY BUNDT CAKE
- Cooking Time: 55
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30
BackstoryI got this recipe from Beth Hillson of Gluten Free Makeovers.
This was Recipe #15 in the "Gluten Free Baking with KitchenAid" event.
Beth says, "inspired by a recipe by Dorie Greenspan and a crop of fresh, local blueberries, this magnificent cake is as pretty as it is luscious. I serve it on a glass cake stand with vanilla glaze draping over the crowns of the cake, and a glint of the fruit peeking from the frosting’s edges. When blueberries are not in season, I use frozen blueberries, raspberries, or chocolate chips." If that description doesn't make you grab for your spatula, Beth says, "I've seen grown men cry over a bite of this, but not too many tears or the cake will get soggy!" LOL! I couldn't have said it better myself.
Do yourself a favour and MAKE THIS CAKE. Men, women, and children far and awide agree; it is a stunner, a winner, and not to be missed.
This recipe reprinted with permission from Gluten-Free Makeovers by Beth Hillson (Da Capo Press 2011)
Learn more about Beth Hillson at Gluten-Free Makeovers.
- Cake ingredients:
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1½ cups soy or coconut yogurt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen berries (unthawed)
- 7/8 cup sweet white sorghum flour
- 7/8 cup white rice flour
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 14 Tbsp (1¾ sticks) vegan buttery spread, softened
- 3 large eggs plus 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 2 tsp pure gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp xanthan gum (or guar gum)
- ½ tsp Celtic sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Vanilla glaze ingredients:
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 to 3 tsp warm water
- 1 tsp gluten-free pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 / 350°F.
- Lightly oil a 10-cup bundt or tube pan.
- Combine the sorghum flour, rice flour, cornstarch, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and baking soda. Blend well and set aside.
- In your stand mixer bowl, beat the buttery spread until fluffy.
- Add the sugar and beat to incorporate.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until blended. Fold in the yoghurt and mix to combine.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon into the prepared pan and bake for 55 minutes, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes
- away clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then turn onto a wire rack, and cool completely.
- This freezes well. (Do not frost before freezing.)
- To make the glaze (this is optional)
- Combine the confectioners’ sugar, water, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Add additional confectioners’ sugar 1 Tablespoon at a time, if the glaze is too thin. If the glaze is too thick, add additional water.