- Cooking Time: 3 hours 20 mins
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 25
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or shortening
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck, tip or round roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large unpeeled potato, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium stalk celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- In 12-inch skillet or 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes. Add beef; cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown on all sides.
- Add water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 2 hours to 2 hours 30 minutes or until beef is almost tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except cold water and flour. Cover; cook about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.
- In tightly covered jar or container, shake cold water and flour; gradually stir into beef mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute until thickened.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Two Layer Peppermint Bark
Spicy Bean Tamales
The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever!See More