BHINDA (GUJARATI OKRA)
Bhinda (Gujarati Okra)
- Servings: 2
- 30-35 okras (or one 16 oz. bag of frozen cut okras)
- 3 tablespoonoil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dhana jeeru (spice blend of coriander and cumin powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or depending personal preferance
- 1/2 teaspoon suger or depending on personal preferance
1). Wash okras and dry it with paper towel. Okras should be as dry as possible otherwise it will become sticky.
2). Cut okra into 1/2 inch thick peices.
3). In a non-stick pan, heat oil on medium high heat.
4). Add musterd seeds and let it sizzle.
5). Lower heat to medium and add turmeric, chili, and asafoetida.
6). Add okras and stir everything well
7). Add salt to okras and stir it again.
8). Cover the pan and let the okras cook until they are tender, stirring occaisionally. Initially okras will be sticky but as it cooks it will become less sticky.
9). Once okra is cooked, add dhana jeeru and sugar. Stir everything and let okras cook uncovered on lowest heat until okras become crispy (almost dry and golden brown).
10). Transfer okras to a 350 degree oven to make it crispy.
11). Serve warm with any type of Indian flatbread.