1 cup scalded milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
6 cups flour
1 package yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
1. Scald milk, add first 3 ingredients; cool.
2. Dissolve yeast in water.
3. Add to milk and beat in the egg.
4. Add 3 cups of flour, mix until smooth.
5. Work in remaining flour, or enough to make easily handled dough.
6. Knead well and let rise 'til doubled in size.
7. Work down twice & roll into strips.
8. Fill, lightly top with cheese (if using) & pinch closed.
9. Let rise in pan for 20 minutes.
10. Place pinched side down and bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350F 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
*If using frozen yeast rolls:
Set rolls out to rise, per package instructions. When rolls have risen, roll each one out individually to about a 6-inch diameter.
Place about 1/4 cup of filling in the center, top with cheese, pinch closed & bake as directed above.
Serve with a side of spicy brown mustard for dipping, if desired.