- Servings: 12
- 2 1/4 tsps. dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4+ cups bread flour
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef, pork, or turkey (I used turkey)
- 1 TB. vegetable oil
- 1/2 small head of cabbage, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm milk.
Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. In a heavy -duty mixer, combine oil, salt and eggs; add yeast mixture.
Add 1 cup of flour and beat for 1 minute.
Beat in 1/2 cup of flour at a time, until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.
2. Switch to dough hook. Knead on low speed, adding remaining flour 1 TB. at a time, until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
3. Place dough in a well-oiled large bowl and loosely cover.
Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
4. To make filling, heat oil over medium-high heat.
Add meat and onion and cook until meat is browned, stirring to crumble.
Add cabbage and cook until wilted.
Season with salt and pepper.
5. Punch dough down and let rest 5 minutes.
6. Divide dough in half.
Roll each half into a letter-sized rectangle (roughly 8 by 11) and cut each rectangle into 6 squares.
Spoon 1/4 cup filling into center of each square.
Bring opposite corners together at the center, pinching corners and seams to seal.
Place seam side down on a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
Repeat with remaining dough.
Cover and let rise 20 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
8. Uncover and bake until lightly golden, about 15 minutes.
Cool on wire racks.