- Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
- Servings: 30-40 cookies
- Preparation Time: 90 minutes
- 3/4 Cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
- 1 Cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 Cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt (prefer kosher salt)
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar lightly until creamy.
- Add eggs to mixture one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add vanilla to mixture and beat well.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry mixture to butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla mixture a little at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Chill dough for at least one hour.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface and use cutters to cut into shapes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool on sheet for 8 minutes, move to wire racks to cool completely.
NotesMy husband's mother found this recipe for sugar cookies in a Sesame Street cookbook and taught him how to make them. After our almost 10 years of marriage, I have found that THESE cookies are the key to his heart. We make this recipe for every holiday and my daughter loves them just as much as her daddy.
My husband and I prefer them without icing, and find that using kosher salt provides the best mix of sweet and salty. But my daughter prefer to use them as a butter cream icing delivery system and so we often pair them with our receipt for best butter cream icing.