- Cooking Time: 12
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- For different shapes, use a sharp knife to cut the rolled dough into squares, triangles, or strips.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shortening, margarine, or butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven 450F.
- In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in shortening, margarine, or butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center; add milk all at once. Stir just till dough clings together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough gently for 10 to 12 strokes. Roll or pat dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, dipping cutter into flour between cuts. Transfer biscuits to a baking sheet.
- Bake in a 450F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or till golden. Serve warm.
- Buttermilk Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except stir 1/4 teaspoon baking soda into flour mixture and substitute 3/4 cup buttermilk for the milk.
- Cornmeal Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except reduce flour to 1 1/2 cups and add 1/2 cup cornmeal to flour mixture.
- Garden Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except add 2 tablespoons finely shredded carrot, 1 tablespoon finely snipped parsley, and 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion to flour mixture with the milk.
- Sour Cream Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except reduce milk to 1/4 cup and add 1/2 cup dairy sour cream to flour mixture with the milk.
- Cheese Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese to the flour mixture with the milk.
- Cajun Style Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except stir 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper into flour mixture.
- Drop Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except increase milk to 1 cup. Do not knead, roll, or cut dough. Drop dough from a tablespoon onto a greased baking sheet.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Italian Exchange
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
Home cookingSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More