- Cooking Time: 12
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- For different shapes, use a sharp knife to cut the rolled dough into squares, triangles, or strips.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shortening, margarine, or butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven 450F.
- In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in shortening, margarine, or butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center; add milk all at once. Stir just till dough clings together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough gently for 10 to 12 strokes. Roll or pat dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, dipping cutter into flour between cuts. Transfer biscuits to a baking sheet.
- Bake in a 450F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or till golden. Serve warm.
- Buttermilk Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except stir 1/4 teaspoon baking soda into flour mixture and substitute 3/4 cup buttermilk for the milk.
- Cornmeal Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except reduce flour to 1 1/2 cups and add 1/2 cup cornmeal to flour mixture.
- Garden Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except add 2 tablespoons finely shredded carrot, 1 tablespoon finely snipped parsley, and 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion to flour mixture with the milk.
- Sour Cream Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except reduce milk to 1/4 cup and add 1/2 cup dairy sour cream to flour mixture with the milk.
- Cheese Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese to the flour mixture with the milk.
- Cajun Style Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except stir 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper into flour mixture.
- Drop Biscuits:
- Prepare as above, except increase milk to 1 cup. Do not knead, roll, or cut dough. Drop dough from a tablespoon onto a greased baking sheet.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
Family and Friends Starter CookBookSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More