- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb ground bison meat
- 6 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 1 1/2 cups currants
- 1 1/4 cups dark raisins
- 1 1/4 cups golden raisins
- 1 cup fancy molasses
- 2 tablespoon coarsely grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons coarsely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup brandy
- Except for the brandy, combine all ingredients in a large heavy bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven. heat and stir over high heat until a full boil is reached.Reduce heat to low. Continue to cook uncovered, stirring occasionally for 1 1/2 hours or until most of the liquid is gone. Cool to room temperature.
- Stir in brandy.
- SHELF LIFE:
- Refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freezer for up to 6 months.
- Pressure canned for up to 1 year
NotesOnce you try this recipe you may never return to using store bought mincemeat again!Commercial varieties just don't have the aroma or citrus flavour this one has. The relatively small amount of ground bison meat used gives the mincemeat just the right amount of heartiness. Try it warm over vanilla ice cream or use in pies and tarts.
This recipe makes enough for 2 large deep-dish pies, or up to 6 dozen tarts.
Peter J. Duffin's Bison Recipes
Refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezer for up to 6 months.
Pressure canned for up to 1 year
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSWSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More