- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryBeef, it's what's for dinner. Yeah, I wish it were more often! My husband isn't big on red meats, especially beef, due to health reasons. So naturally, we don't have beef very often. However when we do on occasion, I make sure we get really good cuts of beef and keep the preparation fairly simple. One such way to prepare a nice porterhouse steak is in the Tuscan style, also known as Bistecca alla Fiorentina. When you're hosting a Tuscan Grill Party, this Tuscan porterhouse steak should be on the menu! Seasoned with fresh rosemary sprigs, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper and a drizzle of good olive oil, this steak is simply prepared over the grill in true Tuscan spirit!...
In Tuscany, game meats are really well known, as is high quality beef. There, meat is prepared with fresh herbs and simple seasonings, allowing the natural flavors of the meats to shine through. With this steak, very little preparation is needed, because if you start off with quality steak, you really won't need much seasonings. We really enjoyed this steak because not only was it so easy to prepare, the aroma and flavor of the rosemary, sea salt and pepper just added the right amount of flavor without overpowering the natural taste of the steak. So the next time you want to prepare steak, give this Tuscan version a try!
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 (2 1/2 pound) choice or prime porterhouse steak
- 3 tablespoons Tuscan olive oil
- Moist, grey sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 6 lemon wedges
- Press chopped rosemary onto both sides of porterhouse steak; set onto a plate and allow to marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Start an outdoor grill using hardwood charcoal, such as hickory. When coals are white and glowing, arrange for high heat.
- Gently brush or rub olive oil onto steak, then season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Place steak onto grill, and cook until a dark, golden brown (not burnt) crust forms, 5 to 10 minutes depending on thickness of meat. Turn over, and continue cooking until golden on the other side, 5 to 10 minutes more. When finished, place steak onto a platter, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Finish by garnishing the platter with lemon wedges and a sprinkle of additional sea salt.