BISTRO "MAC 'N CHEESE
Bistro "Mac 'n Cheese
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Crushed Tomatoes (in thick tomato puree)
- ½ Cup Freshly Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
- ½ Cup Shredded Imported Italian Fontina Cheese
- ¼ Cup Crumbled Italian Gorgonzola Cheese
- 3 TBL. Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- ¼ Pound Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, sliced thin, and then into smaller pieces
- 6 Fresh, Large Basil Leaves, (roll them up all together and slice fine and then chop)
- ½ tsp. Dried Red Pepper Flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 Pound Imported Penne Rigate Pasta
- Kosher Salt
- 4 TBL of Unsalted Butter
- ¼ Cup Shredded, Fresh Parmesano Reggiano Cheese
Heat your oven to 500 degrees. Bring about 5 quarts of water to a boil in a big stockpot. (Remember to always add the Salt at the same time you are adding your pasta to cook).
Combine the above 9 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix it well.
Drop the Penne pasta into the boiling water, along with about 1-1/2 TBL of Kosher Salt (if you are using regular fine-grained salt, only put in a scant Tablespoon, or to taste) Cook for only 4 minutes. Drain well in a colander. Add the par-boiled Penne Pasta to the Cheese Mixture and toss it all up to combine well.
Pour it all into a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish that you have sprayed with Olive Oil vegetable spray. Dot the top with about 4 TBL of Unsalted Butter, cut into very small pieces.
Bake, uncovered, in a 500 degree oven for 28-30 minutes, until the top is nice and melted, crusty and browning beautifully!
Take it out and let it set for about 5 minutes before serving.
Sprinkle freshly grated Parmesano Reggiano Cheese over the top.
This Mac n Cheese is way over the top! Not the kind your Grandma used to make!