- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 60g egg white (from approx. 2 eggs)
- 200g sweetened shredded moist coconut
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1tsp natural orange extract (or finely grated zest of 1 orange)
- 150g bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tsp natural orange extract (or use 1 tsp orange zest)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C and line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the coconut, sugar, flour, salt and orange extract/orange zest till evenly combined (you don’t want any dry coconut or random blobs of flour!), then use a teaspoon to form heaped teaspoons of the mixture into a shape like a quenelle (smooth, oval shaped domes). Carefully slide each macaroon off the teaspoon onto the lined baking trays. You may want to occasionally wash your hands during this process as the stickier your hands become, the harder it is to form shapes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or till they are lightly coloured and edges become golden brown. Carefully remove them from the tray and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, place the chocolate into a ceramic bowl and place this over a smaller bowl half filled with boiling water (the bowl with the chocolate should sit on top, not inside the smaller bowl). Allow the chocolate to sit for 5 minutes, then carefully stir to aid the melting process, then stir in the orange extract/zest.
- Once the chocolate is smooth, dip half of a coconut macaroon into the chocolate, then carefully tap against the bowl to allow any excess to drip off. Place onto a sheet of non-stick baking paper, then repeat with the rest until they’re all dipped, then leave for the chocolate to harden before serving.
- These can be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 5 days, but do not store in the fridge as bringing them back to room temperature will make the chocolate ’sweat’!
NotesWhite coconut next to dark brown chocolate
Crisp, chewy exteriors with moist, soft interiors
Sweet, citrus-scented coconut next to the bold, bittersweet chocolate
You see, opposites can work in perfect harmony together!
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
Cook With The Twinz - Juice & Smoothies Volume OneSee More
Skinny Mojito for Cinco de Mayo
Spicy New England Style Lobster Roll
Avocado & Swiss Sprouted Wheat PizzaSee More