- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon butter, for greasing ramekins
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 large egg whites
- 4 small squares cacao (64%)
- Confectioner’s sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously butter four 1½-cup ramekins.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and sugar and warm over low heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour, turn heat to low and stir continuously for 2-3 minutes. Using a whisk, gradually add the milk mixture and then the chocolate. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg yolks, stirring well.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they form stiff peaks.
- Using a spatula, fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon into the individual ramekins and place a square of cacao into the center of each.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the centers are set and the cacao squares are fully melted.
- Sift confectioner’s sugar over each soufflé. Serve immediately with a scoop of green tea ice cream.
NotesSo delectable you’ll want to have two each!