- Cooking Time: 18-20 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen dark, sweet cherries, halved
- 1 (4 oz) bar good quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (6 oz) container Black Cherry Greek Yogurt (sub plain or vanilla Greek Yogurt, if desired)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.; line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, ½ cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Fold in the cherries and the chocolate; set aside.
- In a medium bowl or measuring cup, combine the beaten egg, butter, yogurt, buttermilk and almond extract. Fold into the flour mixture until just blended, being careful not to over mix.
- Use a cookie scoop to divide the batter into the muffin cups. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the tops of the muffins. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched.
NotesOne of my husband's favorite candies has always been a chocolate covered cherry. Here, I've combined those flavors in a muffin!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Sharing Christmas with Friends
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More