BLACK BEAN CAKES WITH SALSA
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed, drained
- 3 cans 15 oz each, black beans, divided
- 3 lg eggs
- 3 cups toasted fresh breadcrubs (french is best)
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion (4 to 5), chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayene pepper
- salt, pepper, etc
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- top with salsa, sour cream, avocado slices
Puree 2 cups black beans with eggs in processor until smooth. Transfer to large bowl. Stir in remaining beans, corn, 2 cups breadcrumbs, and next 10 ingredients.
• Shape mixture into twelve ½ inch thick patties, using about ½ cup mixture for each.
• Transfer patties to baking sheet. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill)
• Coat black bean cakes on both sides with remaining breadcrumbs. You can flavor these breadcrumbs with dried herbs, chili powder or a little red pepper.
• Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
• Add black bean cakes to skillet; cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
• Transfer to plates. Serve topped with salsa, sour cream and avocado slices.
These are great as appetizers or as a side dish.