Black Bean Cakes With Salsa
2 cups frozen corn, thawed, drained
3 cans 15 oz each, black beans, divided
3 lg eggs
3 cups toasted fresh breadcrubs (french is best)
1 cup red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup green onion (4 to 5), chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayene pepper
salt, pepper, etc
4 tbsp vegetable oil
top with salsa, sour cream, avocado slices
Puree 2 cups black beans with eggs in processor until smooth. Transfer to large bowl. Stir in remaining beans, corn, 2 cups breadcrumbs, and next 10 ingredients.
• Shape mixture into twelve ½ inch thick patties, using about ½ cup mixture for each.
• Transfer patties to baking sheet. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill)
• Coat black bean cakes on both sides with remaining breadcrumbs. You can flavor these breadcrumbs with dried herbs, chili powder or a little red pepper.
• Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
• Add black bean cakes to skillet; cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
• Transfer to plates. Serve topped with salsa, sour cream and avocado slices.
These are great as appetizers or as a side dish.