- Cooking Time: 45 (for beans in pot)
- Servings: 20 (5)
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 lbs (½ lb) pre-soaked black beans
- 2 oz (1 tbs) oil
- 2 onions (1 cup), finely diced
- 10 cloves (1⅔ tsp) fresh garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp (1 pinch) cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp (1½ tsp) cumin, ground
- 1½ tbsp (1 tsp) chili powder, ground
- 4 oz (2 tbsp) white wine for sautéing
- 2 oz (5 tsp) flour, all-purpose
- 4 oz (3 tbsp) cornmeal
- 6 scallions (2 tbsp + 1½ tsp), chopped
- 2 tbsp (1½ tsp) kosher salt
- ½ bunch (4½ tsp) cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup (¼ cup) eggs, pasteurized
- 40 oz (2½ cups) Jack cheese, shredded
- 48 oz (1½ cups) tomato salsa
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook beans in boiling water until tender; about 45 minutes.
- In a pan, in 2 ounces of oil (1 tbs for home version), sauté the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add cumin, cayenne and chili powder, deglaze with white wine, remove and chill.
- In a mixing bowl, paddle together the onions and beans, add the flour, cornmeal, scallions, salt, cilantro and eggs; mix until well blended.
- Scoop bean mix into 6 ounce portions and form into cakes.
- Cook cakes in a Teflon pan in the remaining oil and sear on both sides.
- Place on baking pan and finish in 350° F oven until minimum internal temperature of 165° F.
- Top with shredded jack cheese.
- Return to oven to melt.
- Pull cakes from oven and top with 2 ounces of tomato salsa.
NotesThe original recipe yields a "cooking for crowds" number of servings, 20. To make a more "family cooking" friendly number of 5 servings, use the ingredient amounts in the parentheses.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Special SmoothiesSee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More