- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 6 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeños±o pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onions, undrained
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse beans.
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan. Add onion, carrot, and celery to drippings in pan; sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and jalapeño; sauté 2 minutes. Add beans, bacon, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Place 4 cups soup in a blender or food processor; let stand 5 minutes. Process until smooth; return pureed soup to pan. Stir in cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Serve with sour cream.
- Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 cup soup and 1 tablespoon sour cream)
NotesThis is a recipe I found in Cooking Light magazine and altered to suit my own tastes. Notes: Buy the dried beans from someplace with a high turnover rate, because the older the beans, the longer they have to soak. This is wonderful served with fresh cornbread.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Breads and Pastry 101See More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More