- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 pound dried black beans -- or 3 cups canned (1 large can) picked over for dry/ or rinsed for canned
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium red onion -- chopped
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package frozen corn -- 10 oz. - thawed
- 1 red bell pepper -- chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander -- fresh chopped - washed and dried
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey jack cheese -- coarsley grated
- 2 fresh jalapeno chile peppers -- seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions -- chopped
- In a bowl soak dried beans (if using) in water to cover by 2 inches OVERNIGHT then drain.
- In a large saucepan combine soaked beans, bay leaf, onion and water to cover by 2 inches and simmer uncovered 1-1/2 hours, or till tender - adding more water if necessary.
- Drain beans, discarding bay leaf and cool.
- This method is only for dried beans.
- In a food processor puree only 1 CUP cooked or canned beans with sour cream till smooth and season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat oil over moderately high heat till hot but not smoking and saute corn with salt and pepper to taste, stirring, about 2 min. Cool corn.
- In a large bowl stir together corn, WHOLE remaining beans, bell pepper, coriander, cheese, jalapenos and scallions and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread bean PUREE evenly onto crust and mound with remaining filling, pressing gently.
- Bake in middle of oven about 20 min. or till hot and cheese is melted.
- Let cool in pan on rack 15 min.
- Remove rim of pan and serve warm or at room temp. with lime sour cream.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Adventures in Cooking
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More