BLACK BEAN TART FILLING
- 1/2 pound dried black beans -- or 3 cups canned (1 large can) picked over for dry/ or rinsed for canned
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium red onion -- chopped
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package frozen corn -- 10 oz. - thawed
- 1 red bell pepper -- chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander -- fresh chopped - washed and dried
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey jack cheese -- coarsley grated
- 2 fresh jalapeno chile peppers -- seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions -- chopped
In a bowl soak dried beans (if using) in water to cover by 2 inches OVERNIGHT then drain.
In a large saucepan combine soaked beans, bay leaf, onion and water to cover by 2 inches and simmer uncovered 1-1/2 hours, or till tender - adding more water if necessary.
Drain beans, discarding bay leaf and cool.
This method is only for dried beans.
In a food processor puree only 1 CUP cooked or canned beans with sour cream till smooth and season with salt and pepper.
In a skillet, heat oil over moderately high heat till hot but not smoking and saute corn with salt and pepper to taste, stirring, about 2 min. Cool corn.
In a large bowl stir together corn, WHOLE remaining beans, bell pepper, coriander, cheese, jalapenos and scallions and season with salt and pepper.
Spread bean PUREE evenly onto crust and mound with remaining filling, pressing gently.
Bake in middle of oven about 20 min. or till hot and cheese is melted.
Let cool in pan on rack 15 min.
Remove rim of pan and serve warm or at room temp. with lime sour cream.