BLACK BEAN AND SAUSAGE SOUP
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled or scrubbed, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, sliced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 medium potato, peeled, diced
- 2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1 28oz tin, diced tomatoes
- 4-6 oz lean kielbasa sausage, cubed
- 1 19oz tin black beans, or your favorite canned beans
Heat large pot with low fat cooking spray. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables begin to soften.
Stir in garlic, oregano, potato, broth and tomatoes; heat to boiling. Stir in Kielbasa. Cover and simmer gently for at least 1/2 hour to blend flavours.
Drain and rinse beans. Add to soup. Heat until hot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with crusty bread. (Even better the next day)
You can prepare it ahead for a gathering and instead of simmering for 1/2 hour, put it in your crockpot on low and add the beans. By the time you are ready to eat (try to make it at least a half an hour) it will be ready to go. Great for potluck as it only gets better the longer it sits.