- Cooking Time: 120
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 tbsp Sunflower oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 jalapenos, diced
- or 1 jalapeno, 1/2 poblano, 2 anaheim chilis, diced
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 2 tbsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (more if you like it hot)
- 1 lb tempeh, minced
- Juice of 2 or 3 limes
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup cooked red kidney beans
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
- In a sturdy stock pot, heat up the oil. Add the carrots and saute until soft. Add the peppers, onion, and garlic. Add a pinch of salt to the mirapoix. This will allow the sweet flavors of the vegetables to come out. Saute until almost soft, or the onions turn translucent.
- Add the tempeh and stir. Add chili powder and cayenne. If necessary add a bit more oil to make the chili powder into a paste. De-glaze with lime juice. Add the beans, stir around some more. Add the vegetable stock.
- Cover and cook on simmer for 2-3 hours. Even though the beans are already cooked, the flavor of the mirapoix and stock need to soak into the beans.
NotesI love chili, and being a Vegan Chef, I had to come up with a really good chili that would rival the best chilis out there. This one is hearty, meaty, spicy and has lots of protein to kick you into action. Gaurunteed crowd pleaser.
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Mom's Cooking Secrets
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Mama Mia ... Lentils Italian Style
Gabriola Clam Chowder
Gen's Vegetable Love PizzaSee More